Data Center Overviwe
Data center business is technical facilities that are designed to house information system and related components such as, server, router, store manages, uninterrupted power, and disseminates data. The Data center information business houses and networks are most critical system and are essential to business operations. Data center are typically needed large power requirements. They are often raised floor designed to accommodate the large amount of cable required. Consequently, the quality of being trustworthy, optimization process, security of data centers, and their information is a critically importance to current business scenario.
According to Gartner, “Data center is the department in an enterprise that houses and maintain back-end information technologies (IT) system and data storage”.
Data center Information Business is basically classified into four areas;
- Tier 1; It is a single non-redundant distribution path which serving the IT equipment. It mainly focuses on non-redundant components to the data center.
- Tier 2; Tier 2 fulfills of all tier 1 requirements. It shows redundant site infrastructure components.
- Tier 3- Tier 3 fulfills all tier 1 and 2 requirements, which is multiple independent distribution paths serving the IT equipment. In addition, all IT equipment must be fully compatible with the topology and must be dual-powered.
- Tier 4-Fulfills all tier 1, 2 and 3 requirements. Here, all cooling equipment is independently dual-powered including chillers and heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems
Components of Data Center Information Business
The data center may vary depending on its primary functions, but typically it is supported to manage by one of the following categories. To operate the Data centers effectively following components should be needed,
Facility for Business operation of Data center
It refers to the location, space and access point of the Data center
- Physical Location– it is a facility which can be separate facility by itself or can be within the same building
- Physical space– It refers to the data room space, mechanical and electrical space, NOC space (un-located outside the data space) and staging area space (it refers to, used to unpack the new IT equipment before deploying into the data center)
- Data room- IT tracks/cabinets, CRAC unit, is required to cool down those IT equipment
- Physical access– Access to the data center, like access control to data center surveillance for e.g. CCTV.
Information Technology IT infrastructure:-
Data center needs various types of IT infrastructures. IT servers are the essential components for the Data center information business. Following components are important for the IT infrastructure.
- Communication equipment– core switch/router, ISP equipment to links organization data center to outside world, patch panels to connect IT equipment together.
- Storage equipment– It refers to storage area network (SAN) and Network attached storage (NAS)
typically it secured the data centers from the following indicators, smoke detection sensors, water leakage detection, and temperature/humidity detectors
- Electrical equipment– backup, Generator, Uninterrupted power supply(UPS), Automatic transfer switch (ATS)& power distribution unit (PDU) are the necessary electrical equipment for the DCs
- Mechanical equipment – Computer Room Air Conditioner (CRAC), which is uses to require cool down IT racks and chillers plants are uses to supporting cooling system. Basically it is installed on top of the building. Moreover, raised floor is also used in mechanical equipment, to allow cold air to reach out to all IT equipment
- Environment factors – It is important to maintain temperature and humidity in the data center houses. Basically the range of temperature of DC should be 200 C – 240C and the humidity % range is 40% to 60%. Moreover it is important to know about that, PUE (power usage effectiveness),the ratio of total facility energy to IT equipment energy within a data computer , which measures how much electricity consumed by computing equipment
Every organization must require data backup process. We don’t know where and when obstacle will come. The historical fact is here, on the period of 1997-2000, entire world has been suffered from dot-com bubble (considered as economic bubble/economic crisis), and at that time companies needed fast internet connectivity to run the non-stop operation to deploy system and to establish a presence on the internet. At that time small organization should not installing such equipment due to highly operating cost.
In addition, most of the companies started to provide huge facilities to the commercial clients with a frame of solve the problem for system deployment and operation, called internet data centers (IDCs). Technologies become more advanced to designed and handle the scale of operational requirement of such large organization, called cloud data centers (CDCs). Hence, DCs for cloud computing are called cloud data centers (CDCs). In contrast, nowadays the dissection of these terms has been collapsed and being integrated into the term “Data center”. Moreover, DC shall require for every data useable organization/industry.
Data center Vs Cloud flare
Data centers requires specialized equipment and knowledge and it is highly customize. In contrast, owners maintain complete control over hardware and software. Cloud computing offers as computing is a utility services. It is self-services, pay per use and it doesn’t say specific knowledge in computing. Whereas, it is a composed of many DCs. There are three of services in offer by cloud service providers.
- Infrastructure as a services (Iaas) – E.g. Service, networking etc.
- Platform as a services (Paas) – E.g. Window
- Software as a services (Saas) – E.g. Email, MSWord etc.
In most of the areas, or our life relies on the functioning and availability in one or multiple data center. Most of the things in every human activity such as energy, telecommunication, lighting, internet, transportation, banks, security, university, Hospitals etc. are the controlled by DC. Hence, data is important at everywhere. It provides benefits in the various sectors regarding
- Shared resources
- Facilitating to the economies of scale (proportionate saving in cost by increasing production)
- It provides strong security system
- Password protection
- Limited access to servers
- Helps to dedicated IT staffs.
Traditionally, these data centered house mainframe are, computers, then client, and server system. Nepal is developing country or we tend to say LDC country. Though, various sectors like, education sectors, Hospitals, service provider’s organization, manufacturing sectors, banking and financial sectors etc. are mostly reliable to the DC. Precisely, DC is the place where proof never dies. In other words, the following statement shows more clear about DC.
- The demand of data has been growing as grow to the service sectors,
- The sustainability and its effect on the environment is a real concern , though there are more positive results for the companies themselves, within the philosophy of green technology
- It provides a higher level of security serve the field of especially those, that serve the fields of essential service and financial sector likes, BFIS, telecommunication companies, to ensure that there is an absolute continuity of service and reduce the risk of disruption.
- If your data has been destroy in the organization by unavoidable reason, then you should not worry about it because data center re-birth organization destroy data again.
Uses of Data center Business for information in Nepal
Cloud flare is dedicate to make the internet work the way that is only use for work. It is an intelligence network. Cloud fare, the US web company has launched its 123rd data center in Kathmandu, Nepal and 42nd data center in Asia in Kathmandu Nepal. The data center location is build looking at topography of nation. Nepal is a country with three region, Himalayan, Mountain and Terai. Though, looking with appropriate location experts design these data canter houses.
Currently there are 10 colocation data centers from 2 areas in Nepal (federal Democratic Republic of Nepal)
- Governmental integrated data center- this data center hosts only government organization. It is tier three datacenter located inside singha durbar.
- Access world- Access World Tech Pvt. Ltd. is an IT Service Provider with headquarters in Kathmandu and several offices across the world. One of the primary aim of Access World is to provide excellent Cloud Infrastructure for delivering Enterprise platforms and applications
- DATA HUB- First and Only datacenter with both DC and DR Disaster Recovery site in Nepal
- Dataspace Putalisadak (PTS) – Dataspace is the first and only neutral co-location and data-center facility in Kathmandu. We are the only telco hotel operation in Nepal.
Hence, cost is the most critical factor driving data center consolidation. Because as data centers expand to meet agency requirements, with more and more servers, application and storage devices, they became increasingly expensive to support and maintain.
How to standardize Data Center Information Business
Data center is design for reliability, usually at the expense efficiency. ISO27001 is a baseline of IT sectors but it is not specifically a data center standard.
ISO30134 draft is only focuses on DATA center/house. The background of the whole article is that we are trying to address the regulatory market, who needs data security is absolutely important.
- Pharmaceutical industry,
- Telecommunication industry,
- Financial industry,
- \Perhaps in the future, food production also,
We would like to advice some fact about Data center,
- It is necessary to every IT organization/DC , if they have ISO certification, then it is not necessary to ask about quality management system because those organization already have ISO9001 QMS (which is quality management system).
- ISO9001:2015 mainly focuses on QMS and it also provides consistent services
- ISO22301:2012 business continuity management system. Every business houses needs a DC to keep the flow of information safely. So Data center is mandatory for every business house.
- ISO 27001:2013 is about IT secure information, it mainly focuses on data security system. Nepal is a developing country, so country like Nepal should be strong in IT sectors, and it also helps to achieve a sustainable goals for a nation.
- Data house shall meet their objectives, if they hire skilled and trained employee in the organization.
At last, this kind of data center/house is setup to manage and reconcile for better economy. Basically, ISO 27001:2013, isn’t based only on information, but also on everything that ensures the safety and transfer of information, and it also helps to make the information available and authentic whereas ISO30134 specially focused on the data center or especially for strong security system.